Member of the IUCN

IUCN
wwf-logo

WWF – World Wide Fund For Nature

History of the Institute for Nature Conservation of Voivodina Province

History of the Institute for Nature Conservation of Voivodina Province

From the Natural History Department to Provincial Institute for Nature Conservation in Novi Sad, 1947-2011

The Natural History Department was founded in 1947 within the Voivodina museum, in which it worked until 1958. In 1960 and 1961 the work of the Natural History Department was taking place within the Agricultural museum. After the closure of this museum in 1962 the Natural History department goes back into the Voivodina museum. In 1963 it became a part of Agricultural archives and it kept that organisational form until 1966, when the Institute for Nature Conservation of Voivodina Province was formed in Novi Sad.

The main activity of the Natural History Department from 1947 to 1950 was to collect items for the natural history collections. Systematic scientific research started in it in 1950. The department became a significant center for researching the nature of Voivodina, where precious documentation was collected aiming at formation of study collections of natural history material. The same year it was divided in two sections. Zoological and botanical.

By the decision of the Parliament of Social Autonomus Province of Voivodina (SAP Voivodina), on 1st February 1966, the Institute for Nature Conservation of Voivodina Province was founded, seated in Novi Sad on Petrovaradin fortress. The Institute began its work on 1st April 1966 on the foundations and professional staff of the then agricultural archives. Until the formation of the Institute for Nature Conservation of Voivodina Province, nature conservation on the territory of Serbia was attended by the Institute for the protection and scientific research of natural rarities in People’s Republic of Serbia. The Institute was founded in 1948 by the Decision of the government presidency of People’s Republic of Serbia.

Since 1962, this institute has worked under the name of the Institute for Nature Conservation of SR Serbia, which performed tasks of nature protection for the whole region of SR Serbia with Provinces.

By 1966 Republic institute for nature conservation on the territory of Voivodina put under protection 45 objects of nature in various categories and they are: 17 strict reserves, 2 scientific reserves, 1 region of special natural features, 18 natural monuments, 2 memorial natural monuments and 3 endangered and sparse plant and animal species. Spacially limited areas of Fruska Gora mountain, like national park and Deliblatska sand, are also protected by a separate law.

From 1st April 1966, the Institute for Nature Conservation of Voivodina Province took care of nature protection and preservation in the Voivodina region, as well as natural history collections inherited from the Agricultural archives. The Institute for Nature Conservation of Voivodina Province stopped working in 1993 when on the territory of Serbia one unique Institute for nature conservation was formed, with the Institute for Nature Conservation of Voivodina Province functioning as its working unit in Novi Sad.

By creating legal foundation in the Law of Nature Conservation ( “Official Gazzette RS” No. 36/09), the Institute for Nature Conservation of Voivodina Province was founded from the working unit in Novi Sad, by the Decision of the Assembly of AP Voivodina on 16th February, 2010, and the Institute for Nature Conservation of Voivodina Province started working on 1st April 2010.

Regarding the fact that in 1966 and 2010 the Institute for Nature Conservation of Voivodina Province started working on 1st April, we commemorate this day as the Day of the Institute for Nature Conservation of Voivodina Province.

Top of Page